||Event Hi-Res Photos
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JVC GY-HM650 2.0 PROHD MOBILE NEW CAMERA RECEIVES
NUMEROUS INDUSTRY ACCOLADES AT 2013 NAB SHOW
- WAYNE, NJ (April 18, 2013) – JVC Professional Products Company, a division of JVC Americas
Corp., today announced its upgraded GY-HM650 2.0 ProHD mobile news camera received numerous industry accolades during the 2013 NAB Show last week, including awards from Broadcast Engineering, TV
Technology, and The Digital Journalist. The camera was also showcased by Verizon chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam during one of the show’s general
- With JVC’s exclusive dual codec design, as well as built-in FTP and Wi-Fi connectivity, the GY-HM650 2.0 allows live transmission or file transfers in the background as shooters continue to record footage in
their normal workflow. When equipped with a Verizon 4G LTE modem, which connects directly to the camera via USB, the GY-HM650 can transmit footage to a broadcast facility in real time – no add-on boxes or backpacks required –
while simultaneously recording a full HD file to solid-state memory cards.
- In a conversation with NAB president and CEO Gordon Smith, McAdam showed the audience a GY-HM650 2.0 equipped with a Verizon LTE modem. He said the solution addresses the problem broadcasters face when trying to get
coverage of a natural disaster or other news event when damage makes it difficult to navigate and setup a news van. “This is an example of I think what we’d call a powerful answer for the broadcasters,” McAdam explained.
“What we try to do is make the capabilities of an LTE network … available for our partners, and I view the broadcasters as partners.”
- Broadcast Engineering awarded the GY-HM650 2.0 with one of its Pick Hits for the 2013 NAB Show. Pick Hits are determined by a panel of independent judges who tour the show floor and
make their selections based on several criteria, including technical and financial improvements the product can potentially make for a facility. Broadcast Engineering is published
by Penton Media.
- The upgraded GY-HM650 also received the STAR (Superior Technology Award Recipient) Award from TV Technology. Designed to honor and
showcase outstanding technological innovations for the broadcast industry, the award is chosen by a panel of judges, including magazine editors and columnists, as well as industry experts. Celebrating its 30th year covering the television
industry, TV Technology is published by NewBay Media.
- “The NAB Show serves as the launching pad for thousands of new products and services for audio and video professionals,” said Tom Butts, editor-in-chief, TV
Technology. “The products and services that we select for the STAR Award make the cut, demonstrating their ability to help advance the acquisition and distribution of entertainment and information across
the media spectrum.”
- The Digital Journalist, a multimedia magazine for photojournalists, recognized the camera with its Platinum Award, its highest honor. “How do you get that live truck capability
with just your camera? The answer: the JVC GY-HM650,” wrote Dirck Halstead, editor and publisher. “As PF [Bentley] says, ‘It’s a live truck in your pocket.’”
- Designed for mobile news and reality documentary production, the lightweight GY-HM650 features a Fujinon wide angle 23x zoom lens includes manual focus, servo zoom, and iris rings, plus three
ND filters and a removable hood. The camera records HD or SD footage in multiple file formats, including native XDCAM EX™ (.MP4), Final Cut Pro™
(.MOV), and AVCHD, as well as .MXF files that support rich descriptive metadata optimized for asset management. The GY-HM650 also supports live video streaming of
1080i, 720p, and lower Web-friendly resolutions at various bit rates to adapt to network conditions, and in-camera clip trimming reduces file sizes for more efficient video file transfer.
- ABOUT JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY
- Headquartered in Wayne, New Jersey, JVC Professional Products Company is a division of JVC Americas Corp., a wholly-owned subsidiary of JVC KENWOOD Corporation. JVC is a leading manufacturer
and distributor of broadcast and professional video and audio equipment. For further product information, visit JVC’s Web site at http://pro.jvc.com or call (800) 582-5825.
# # #
Caption: NAB president and CEO Gordon Smith (left) and Verizon chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam discuss the JVC GY-HM650 ProHD mobile news camera during a general session at the 2013 NAB Show.