Sales & Support
Documentation & Visuals
The GY-HMQ10 was developed using the most advanced technology found in any professional camcorder. High resolution (4K+) still picture imaging has been around for several years in point and shoot digital cameras. Motion video capture with these cameras has always been done at a lower resolution because of lack of processing power. Likewise, high end digital motion picture cameras can capture 4K images, but often provide a raw data output to an external storage array for later processing—again due to lack of processing power in the camera. There just hasn't been the ability to capture, process and record full 4K images in real time in such a small form factor until now.
- FALCONBRID: JVC'S Next-generation High-speed Picture Engine
- Falconbrid is JVC's high-speed processor developed for advanced video applications and utilized in the GY-HMQ10. 40nm processing is incorporated into a single chip, offering high performance and low energy-consumption with an economical design. Raw image data from the camera's CMOS device is de-matrixed (deBayered) in real time and processed to provide the optimum image parameters. Unlike many high end 4K cameras, the GY-HMQ10 is able to output 4K images to a monitor or projection system in real time with virtually no latency. For recording, another Falconbrid processor handles H.264 encoding and formating into the required MPEG4 format. Multiple Falconbrid processors are used in the GY-HMQ10.
1/2-inch class CMOS device with 8.3 million active pixels
- The GY-HMQ10 employs a single 1/2.3-inch CMOS device that provides 3840 x 2160 images—4 times (2H x 2V) the resolution of full HD cameras and monitors. It provides good sensitivity and excellent performance over a wide range of lighting conditions. Utilization of a single device simplifies the optical design of the camera resulting in more precise images with minimal aberration. Details are crisp and accurate throughout the entire image plane. The 3840 x 2160 (square pixel) image conforms to the same 16:9 aspect ratio used throughout the video industry.
4K (3840x2160p) Recording
- In the 4K mode, the GY-HMQ10 records progressive video at a variable bit rate up to 144 Mbps (36 Mbps X 4) using MPEG-4/H.264 encoding. The image is separated into 4 quadrants, each recorded onto a separate SDHC card. This method allows for the use of economical and widely available SDHC memory cards. When playing back from the camera, all four memory cards are accessed in sync, and output may be either 4K or downconverted to HD. JVC also provides a software utility that combines the four recorded files into a single file compatible with 4K editing systems.
4K Monitoring and Playback from the GY-HMQ10
Displaying 4K recordings or live video is ideally performed on a native 4K monitor or projector. JVC and a number of other manufacturers offer such projectors, typically used in theaters and other large screen venues. JVC has introduced the PS-840UD
Professional Series ProVérité
and RS-840UD Reference Series 4K 84-inch monitors. Both models offer native screen resolution of 3840x2160 as well as four 60p inputs compatible with the GY-HMQ10.
Professional 4K monitors and projectors typically have four inputs, one for each screen quadrant. The GY-HMQ10 connects to these monitors using the 4 HDMI outputs provided on the camcorder. Since each of the four inputs is 60p capable, a full resolution 60p 4K image is presented, ideal for monitoring sports and other action scenes.
If the monitor or projector is equipped with separate DVI or HDSDI inputs, then adapter cables or interface boxes must be used. If no 4K monitor is available, a standard HD monitor may be used since GY-HMQ10 provides a downconverted HD signal via its HDMI interface.
4K Clip Manager Software — Archive and Merge Utility
A Mac-compatible software utility is available for free download to simplify the process of ingesting and converting the files recorded with the GY-HMQ10. A single USB cable is all that's necessary to connect the camera to the Macintosh computer. The utility will recognize the 4 memory cards in the camera and generate a single thumbnail for each scene. Right-clicking on the thumbnail begins the conversion to a single 4K Prores file suitable for editing on Final Cut Pro X. If camera thumbnails are dragged to the HDD, all of the associated files are automatically copied to the destination. Installation of Final Cut Pro X is necessary for this utility to operate.
3.5-inch Touch LCD Display
The 3.5-inch (920,000 pixel) 16:9 aspect ratio Touch LCD monitor provides not only
an alternative to the viewfinder when shooting,
it also displays a wide array of monitoring and setup indications.
Easy to operate, this full screen touch panel
and new GUI enable fast and intuitive control.
Full HD (1920x1080) trimming function
As mentioned above, the GY-HMQ10 provides a full frame downconverted HD output of its 4K signal via an HDMI interface. One very useful feature of this camera is its ability to output an HD window from a full 4K frame. By pressing the touch screen during playback, a 1920 x 1080 window is created and the camera outputs a full HD frame of that window. The window is movable within the 4K frame with the touch screen interface.
The GY-HMQ10 is also a Full HD camcorder!
- Thanks to its 1/2-inch class 4K image sensor and high quality lens, the GY-HMQ10 provides high quality HD recordings in the popular AVCHD Progressive format. Its Falconbrid processing engine provides full HD recording and playback at 1920 x 1080, including 1080 60P. In the HD mode, a single SDHC or SDXC memory card is utilized. When recording in the HD mode, the camera's zoom range is extended to 20X (10X optical, 11X-20X digital).
Professional Audio Connectors with Manual Controls
The GY-HMQ10 records 2 channels of 16 bit audio sampled at 48Khz. In the 4K recording mode, audio is recorded in the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format. When recording in the HD mode, audio is encoded with the Dolby Digital AC3 codec. Audio levels are controlled manually or automatically using AGC. An audio meter is provided in the LCD and VF displays to facilitate adjustment. Balanced XLR connectors on the handle permit the use of external microphones (optional) and/or a wireless receiver. 48V phantom power is available for each microphone. Versatile input switching allows the microphone signal to be directed to the desired channel. A built-in stereo microphone is also provided for ambient sound pickup.
Patented "FOCUS ASSIST" function
- Achieving exact focus with 4K and HD signals is critical. JVC's Focus Assist turns focusing into a fast, easy and accurate process. When Focus Assist is activated, the picture in the viewfinder becomes monochrome and all objects which are in focus appear with colored edges. Focus Assist works equally in the viewfinder as well as on the LCD panel. The Focus Assist function can be assigned to any of the USER buttons.
GY-HMQ10 Recording Times